Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Inertia

Words of wisdom are not something I usually take from Fluids.  Dorgan's random tangents don't relate to me and are generally not very important at all. But class yesterday was different.  In usual Dorgan fashion, he decided to explain a simple concept in detail.  This week that simple concept was inertia.
Inertia is the idea that a body in motion remains in motion and a body at rest remains at rest.  Not a terribly hard concept to grasp, but like I said, Dorgan likes to elaborate.  Dorgan related inertia to a person in a restaurant drinking a beer.  He is far more likely to order another rather than pay and finish the rest of his day.

I've never had trouble making sense of inertia but I've also never related it to my life.  I feel like lately I've been living at rest and am therefore scientifically more likely to remain at rest.  Although I enjoy resting and think it's important, I've been driving myself insane.  I don't being so lazy but the energy to change my inertia is a deterrent to doing work.

I don't know how to change the way I live easily.  It's harding thinking I'll be giving up my laziness but this will prevent me from having a build-up of having to do everything at the same time.

Eventually I would like to get to the point where I have planned time to be spontaneous.  I would love to always be able to say yes when friends want to hang out or if someone needs to talk.  So I'm using this as accountability.  I'll let you know how my changing inertia experiment is going.

1 comment:

Meghann said...

"planned time to be spontaneous"

that made me chuckle.

but seriously, I understand you. Change can be hard. Good thing we have Jesus. He always wants to help change us for the better.

Post a Comment