Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Proposal!

We are engaged!!!

I don't think this comes as much of a surprise to many.  I've been expecting this for 2 1/2 years, so I knew it was coming.  And because there had been so much talk about it, I didn't think Brett would be able to surprise me.  We are not a "dating" couple.  So I figured if we went out to dinner sometime, that would be when he would propose.

So I patiently waited.

That's a lie.  I wasn't patient at all.  There was always lots of joking and "hinting" about proposals and even though I knew he was going to propose at some point, I was completely in the dark about when he would do it.  At the beginning of October, I was preparing for a busy month.  3 consecutive weekends were filled with Fall Conference, Vegas, and the Amazing Race.  So I couldn't find a time that made sense for a proposal and figured I'd have to wait even longer.  It was a reality I had come to terms with.  I was talking to my roommate about it and she asked if Brett would propose during Fall Conference.  And a couple days later my other roommate asked the same thing.  I was 100% confident he would not.

He did.

Saturday morning started with breakfast where a friend told me the first thing he would do when he got home would be to tell Brett my ring size; a pretty typical conversation :)  Brett stopped by and said hey and everything seemed totally normal!  We split up for quiet time and after that hour we met again to listen to our speaker.  Stephen stepped up to begin his talk and said that before he began, Brett wanted to say a few things.  Brett was sitting in the row behind me and I remember looking back confused when he got up and walked to the front.

He started talking about how he was trying to step into this weekend but there was something that was distracting him that he needed to get off of his chest. And then he called me up.


I remember hearing gasps and feeling excitement all around me, but I just froze. I was convincing myself he was not going to propose in front of all 200 people there, because that was not something he would do.  I was finally pushed out of my chair by an excited friend and made my way up to the front.  I was in such shock and was really hesitant walking up there.  He started talking about how he couldn't imagine his life without me (cue excited girls now) and he wanted to say that he loved me in front of everyone.  At this point I think most everyone has come to grips with the fact that he was going to propose. Except for me.  I was still so shocked.


It wasn't until he got down on one knee that I finally realized what was going on.  And after that all I remember is how much me and Brett were both shaking. I'm surprised he was able to get the ring on! And what a beautiful ring it is!! Thinking about it makes me shake still.  Luckily we have video of it!


So far, being engaged has been kind of surreal.  I thought I knew how to plan a wedding and then I got engaged and realized I have no idea how to do this.  So it's been an interesting process but my fiancee (still so weird to say!!) and I are having fun dreaming  :)

We don't have many things figured out yet, but for those of you that love asking questions, we are planning on getting married July next summer here in Colorado...somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment